T20 World Cup: Rohit Sharma credits destiny, karma, not prophecy

| Updated: 01 July, 2024 11:07 am IST
Rohit Sharma shared a picture on his twitter handle post winning the world cup trophy. (Image: X/@IamRo45)

NEW DELHI: India has won the T-20 World Cup after 17 years, sparking celebrations across the nation. Former captain Rohit Sharma also seized the moment to announce his retirement from T20 Internationals, describing the victory as the perfect way to say goodbye. Meanwhile, he plans to continue playing in the IPL.

Sharma, 37, shared his thoughts on the decision after India’s thrilling seven-run win over South Africa in the final. “I don’t make decisions about my future lightly. I follow my instincts. Winning this cup felt like the right time to step aside for the younger generation,” he said.

Rohit emphasised the significance of the victory, stating, “I never thought I would retire from T20s, but the situation felt perfect. There’s nothing better than winning the cup and saying goodbye.” He added that he had no intention of retiring earlier, even if India had won the ODI World Cup last year.

ALSO READ: Celebration on ground; Rohit accepted trophy with robot dance – THE NEW INDIAN

Reflecting on India’s journey, Rohit acknowledged the challenges they faced, including the disappointment in the ODI World Cup and the loss to Australia in the World Test Championship final. Despite these setbacks, he felt that the T20 World Cup triumph was destined. “Jo likha hain who hone wala hain, ye likha tha but humko pata nahi hain kee kab likha hain. Nahi toh hum aaram se aate and bolte ‘likha hain’ aur ho jayega” (I believe that what is written is going to happen. Everything has to fall into place),” he said, noting the crucial turning points in the final match.

Rohit’s career has indeed come full circle, as he was part of the 2007 T20 World Cup-winning team under Mahendra Singh Dhoni. His leadership and experience have left a lasting legacy, paving the way for future cricketing stars.

Also Read Story

3 families robbed J&K, aim to restore terrorism: Amit Shah

Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia join Congress ahead of Haryana Assembly Elections

AR Rahman lights up International Solar Fest in Delhi

Mohit Chauhan’s surprise entry electrifies AR Rahman’s concert at Solar Festival 2024