NEW DELHI: The Ministry of Home Affairs handed over last week’s Sunjwan terror attack case to National Investigation Agency, sources said on Thursday.
The case relates to the terror attack on a Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) bus and the subsequent encounter in the Sunjwan area on the outskirts of the city on Friday.
While security forces killed two terrorists of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed, CISF lost one official while nine others – including two Jammu & Kashmir policemen – were injured in the encounter in the Jalalabad Sunjwan area of Jammu district.
An NIA official source related to the development told The New Indian, “The MHA has handed over the case to us. So we will soon re-register a case and start our probe.”
A day after the terror attack on the CISF bus, NIA chief Kuldiep Singh visited the spot. He had also visited the house where two Pakistani terrorists had taken shelter after the attack.
The NIA team also collected samples from the spot and held interactions with the local police officers who were at the forefront during the encounter.
After the attack, the J&K Police had arrested two Kashmiris identified as – Shafiq and Iqbal – related to the case.
During the police probe, it came to the fore that two terrorists from Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) were picked up by Jaish operative Bilal Ahmed Wagay, a Kashmiri, from Samba in a vegetable-laden truck.
According to J&K Police, the investigation also suggested that two Kashmiri brothers from Tral – Shafiq Ahmed and Asif Ahmed who were working in a walnut factory in Narwal, close to Sujwan – were in touch with a Jaish commander through the Telegram application.
The police further claimed that the Jaish commander has been identified as having a code name Veer while the role of another youth, Iqbal from Dhamhal Hanjipora in southern Kashmir’s Kulgam, has also come to the fore.
The probe also revealed that terrorists spoke only Pashto which suggested that the attackers were either from Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa belt or Afghanistan.